Welcome to episode 024 of Mud Stories!
Mud Stories is a podcast dedicated to bringing you inspiration in your muddiest moments, hope to make it through your mud, and encouragement for you to know, you are not alone.
In today’s episode I’m joined by my husband Thad, as together we talk with Craig and Jen Ferguson, a couple whose bravery and transparency is making such a difference in the very complex and painful issue of pornography.
Craig and Jen are the authors of a new book entitled, Pure Eyes, Clean Heart: A Couple’s Journey to Freedom from Pornography. And in it they share their personal story of the shame, anger and hopelessness associated with a porn addiction, how it threatened to destroy their marriage, and how they discovered that drawing close to Christ could lead them out of the sinful habits, unhealthy responses, and personal despair, toward true recovery.
Craig and Jen live in Texas with their two girls, and Jen leads an online community entitled The Soli Deo Gloria Sisterhood– a community of women offering support and encouragement, through friendship and prayer, to do whatever it takes to give God alone all the glory.
In this episode we discuss:
- How pornography is not at all about the sex
- How micromanaging, rules, and an attempt to control another is never the answer
- How our shame can keep us from God
- Some of the obstacles in our way that keep us from finding help and freedom from pornography
- And how secrecy and shame give pornography its power
Craig and Jen candidly share:
- The importance of transparency in marriage
- How truth and confession is really a gift, even when it’s not pretty
- Some tips to discussing the lure of pornography with our kids
- And the hope and healing they found as they made the choice to surrender to God
Mud Stories 024: Porn is never about the sex, but a desire to fill a soul hole meant only for God. [Tweet that]
Mud Stories 024: Secrecy & shame give pornography power, but confession & forgiveness shatter its hold. [Tweet that]
Mud Stories 024: Healing from porn in marriage begins with transparency, confession & forgiveness. [Tweet that]
And after you listen, I’d be SO grateful if you’d take the time to give a rating or review over at iTunes, to help others find this podcast. (follow the instructions below) Enjoy!
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed… James 5:16a (ESV) For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Matthew 6:14-15 (ESV)
CONNECT with Craig and Jen:
- Craig and Jen’s Website: www.pureeyescleanheart.com
- Soli Deo Gloria Sisterhood Website: www.solideogloriasisterhood.com
- Pure Eyes, Clean Heart: A Couple’s Journey to Freedom from Pornography, by Craig and Jen Ferguson
- Praying God’s Word, by Beth Moore
TO DOWNLOAD THIS PODCAST:
Right click here and save-as, to download this podcast episode. (If reading this in email, click HERE)
How to listen to The Mud Stories Podcast
1. Listen on the blog. Click to the podcast episode you would like to listen to and click the play button within the post.
2. On your smart phone or mobile device– There are a lot of great podcasting apps. Apple has a free one in the app store, and there’s also one called Downcast, and another called Stitcher Radio. Many of them allow you to search for shows, subscribe to them and even speed up the audio. Let us know your favorite!
3. Subscribe to the Podcast – You can always access the podcast in iTunes or Stitcher, or you can search for Mud Stories on your smartphone’s podcast app. And if you have missed past episodes, you can also listen via iTunes or Stitcher after you’ve subscribed, or click HERE to find all the episodes.
Subscribe in iTunes HERE
Subscribe in Stitcher HERE
Rate or Review the Podcast
By rating the podcast or writing a 1-2 sentence review, it will help others find Mud Stories more easily, exposing the podcast to a wider audience.
Thank you so much for your help!
CLICK HERE to leave a review in iTunes
CLICK HERE to leave a review in Stitcher